We raised $2,515.72 toward Dan Lynch's trip to a conference to represent the show and record content! We'll be coordinated with Dan about what conference he wants to attend.
If you'd like to further support Free as in Freedom, please become a supporter of Software Freedom Conservancy, the charity where Bradley and Karen work.
24 May 2011
Dan Lynch (filling in for Karen) and Bradley play and discuss Matthew Garrett's talk GPL Violations: What Are We Doing? (aka Linux License Violations) from the Linux Collaboration Summit 2011.
If you want to listen to only the off-topic parts of this oggcast, please download the FaiF 0x10 Off-Topic Remix.
This show was released on Tuesday 24 May 2011; its running time is 01:24:10.
Segment 0 (00:34)
- FaiF Producer Dan Lynch is filling in for Karen as co-host this week. (00:43)
- Karen got married on the day Dan and Bradley recorded the oggcast. (01:03)
- Dan is also known as the co-host of Linux Outlaws, host of Rat Hole Radio, and occasional co-host of FLOSS Weekly. (02:05)
- Bradley mentioned Dick Van Dyke's admission (06:56)
Segment 1 (08:05)
- This segment is Matthew Garrett's talk GPL Violations: What Are We Doing? (aka Linux License Violations) from the Linux Collaboration Summit 2011.
- Matthew Garrett released the slides from his talk which you can follow along with during the talk.
Segment 2 (51:29)
- Bradley mentioned that Matthew is particularly interested in the GPL violations on Android/Linux devices that he's found. (52:57)
- Bradley mentioned Greg Kroah-Hartman's GPL enforcement against Microsoft, which Bradley also blogged about a few years ago. (55:51)
- Dan asked Bradley about DMCA usage in GPL enforcement. Bradley explained that there is a process called DMCA takedown that Matthew was discussing. (57:30)
- Dan and Bradley discussed the Linux Foundation Open Compliance Program. (1:05:05)
- Bradley mentions that he is completely opposed to criminal penalties for copyright infringement, and mentioned his ACTA commenting blog post. (1:12:13)
- Bradley and Dan discussed the Sony DVD rootkit. (1:15:17)
- Karen's wedding invitation got some press since it was a working record player. (1:16:58)
- Karen and Mike's wedding song is at the end of the oggcast, but you can also download the song from the wedding website. (1:21:08)