Please donate now to send Producer Dan Lynch to a Free Software conference of his choice, where he can help us record interviews and otherwise participate in the Free Software conference community:
We seek to raise $2,500 to fund Dan's trip. Amounts raised beyond that benefit Software Freedom Conservancy (which is the non-profit where the show's hosts, Karen and Bradley, work).$2,383.26 of the $2,500 goal has been met.
(Progress updated monthly.)
24 May 2011
Dan Lynch (filling in for Karen) and Bradley play and discuss Matthew Garrett's talk GPL Violations: What Are We Doing? (aka Linux License Violations) from the Linux Collaboration Summit 2011.
If you want to listen to only the off-topic parts of this oggcast, please download the FaiF 0x10 Off-Topic Remix.
This show was released on Tuesday 24 May 2011; its running time is 01:24:10.
Segment 0 (00:34)
- FaiF Producer Dan Lynch is filling in for Karen as co-host this week. (00:43)
- Karen got married on the day Dan and Bradley recorded the oggcast. (01:03)
- Dan is also known as the co-host of Linux Outlaws, host of Rat Hole Radio, and occasional co-host of FLOSS Weekly. (02:05)
- Bradley mentioned Dick Van Dyke's admission (06:56)
Segment 1 (08:05)
- This segment is Matthew Garrett's talk GPL Violations: What Are We Doing? (aka Linux License Violations) from the Linux Collaboration Summit 2011.
- Matthew Garrett released the slides from his talk which you can follow along with during the talk.
Segment 2 (51:29)
- Bradley mentioned that Matthew is particularly interested in the GPL violations on Android/Linux devices that he's found. (52:57)
- Bradley mentioned Greg Kroah-Hartman's GPL enforcement against Microsoft, which Bradley also blogged about a few years ago. (55:51)
- Dan asked Bradley about DMCA usage in GPL enforcement. Bradley explained that there is a process called DMCA takedown that Matthew was discussing. (57:30)
- Dan and Bradley discussed the Linux Foundation Open Compliance Program. (1:05:05)
- Bradley mentions that he is completely opposed to criminal penalties for copyright infringement, and mentioned his ACTA commenting blog post. (1:12:13)
- Bradley and Dan discussed the Sony DVD rootkit. (1:15:17)
- Karen's wedding invitation got some press since it was a working record player. (1:16:58)
- Karen and Mike's wedding song is at the end of the oggcast, but you can also download the song from the wedding website. (1:21:08)