Please donate now to send Producer Dan Lynch to a Free Software conference of his choice, where he can help us record interviews and otherwise participate in the Free Software conference community:
We seek to raise $2,500 to fund Dan's trip. Amounts raised beyond that benefit Software Freedom Conservancy (which is the non-profit where the show's hosts, Karen and Bradley, work).
28 August 2012
Karen and Bradley discuss recent coverage of GNOME by the technology press, and more generally issues and concerns with the technology press.
This show was released on Tuesday 28 August 2012; its running time is 00:56:31.
Segment 0 (00:44)
- Bradley couldn't find support for his claim about
in the can, and Karen may be right.(01:15)
- Bradley mentioned that the GNOME Foundation negative press recently is akin to what Harry Reid did by stating rumors regarding Romney's taxes. (05:03)
- Karen mentioned the Debunking Handbook that Germán Póo-Caamaño mentioned to her. (06:30)
- Bradley mentioned the quote
I do not think [that word] means what you think it meansfrom The Princess Bride. (13:30)
- Karen mentioned the GNOME 15 year Anniversary Site. (17:22)
- Bradley mentioned Dave Neary's GNOME census, and quoted numbers from the census. (21:30)
- Bradley discussed Eazel, a company co-founded by Andy Hertzfeld. (23:03)
- Karen mentioned GNOME's Outreach Program for Women, in which Conservancy participates. (25:34)
- Karen mentioned an article that came out on the same day as this audcast. (30:30)
- Bradley mentioned that some research by evolutionary biologists suggests language may have developed for gossip (38:48). Bradley couldn't find evidence easily online for the 80% is gossip claim on the audcase, but did find an article talking about 65% of human communication is gossip.
- Bradley mentioned the television series, The Human Animal. (39:17)
- Bradley mentioned a thread he recently posted in on the BusyBox mailing list. (50:32)
- Bradley mentioned that there are many cognitive psychological biases. (51:11)