17 January 2012
Bradley and Karen discuss issues of gender inequality in the software freedom community and technology generally.
This show was released on Tuesday 17 January 2012; its running time is 00:47:17.
Segment 0 (00:38)
- Bradley and Karen discuss issues of gender inequality in the software freedom community and technology generally.
- Bradley wrote a blog post a while back noting that issues of gender inequality are technology-sector-wide, as shown on PDF page 10 of this study. However, Bradley incorrectly remembered the study: in fact, all levels of academic computer science are (23:19)
- Karen got a 5 on our Calculus AB exam, even though her teacher told her only boys were good at math. Bradley also got a 5 on the Calculus AB exam. (27:06)
- Bradley believes that Stand and Deliver. (29:37)
- Bradley is sure there is no Calculus in Good Will Hunting (30:08)
- Bradley mentioned that S05E11 of American Greed contained an rsync output on a Debian system and Python DBUS binding C code as “code cracking examples” (31:00)
- Miguel de Icaza had a cameo in the file Antitrust. (33:27)
- Bradley mentioned that Craig Mundie keynoted OSCON (38:55)
- Bradley mentioned the USENIX/Freenix to Perl Conference to OSCON history (42:50)
- Karen mentioned the GNOME Marketing Meeting at FOSDEM 2012. (43:27)
- Karen is speaking at Linux Conf Australia on 19 January 2012,Bradley is speaking at Scale 10x, the 2012 Southern California Linux Expo (44:16)