Please donate now to send Producer Dan Lynch to a Free Software conference of his choice, where he can help us record interviews and otherwise participate in the Free Software conference community:
We seek to raise $2,500 to fund Dan's trip. Amounts raised beyond that benefit Software Freedom Conservancy (which is the non-profit where the show's hosts, Karen and Bradley, work).$2,383.26 of the $2,500 goal has been met.
(Progress updated monthly.)
17 January 2012
Bradley and Karen discuss issues of gender inequality in the software freedom community and technology generally.
This show was released on Tuesday 17 January 2012; its running time is 00:47:17.
Segment 0 (00:38)
- Bradley and Karen discuss issues of gender inequality in the software freedom community and technology generally.
- Bradley wrote a blog post a while back noting that issues of gender inequality are technology-sector-wide, as shown on PDF page 10 of this study. However, Bradley incorrectly remembered the study: in fact, all levels of academic computer science are (23:19)
- Karen got a 5 on our Calculus AB exam, even though her teacher told her only boys were good at math. Bradley also got a 5 on the Calculus AB exam. (27:06)
- Bradley believes that Stand and Deliver. (29:37)
- Bradley is sure there is no Calculus in Good Will Hunting (30:08)
- Bradley mentioned that S05E11 of American Greed contained an rsync output on a Debian system and Python DBUS binding C code as “code cracking examples” (31:00)
- Miguel de Icaza had a cameo in the file Antitrust. (33:27)
- Bradley mentioned that Craig Mundie keynoted OSCON (38:55)
- Bradley mentioned the USENIX/Freenix to Perl Conference to OSCON history (42:50)
- Karen mentioned the GNOME Marketing Meeting at FOSDEM 2012. (43:27)
- Karen is speaking at Linux Conf Australia on 19 January 2012,Bradley is speaking at Scale 10x, the 2012 Southern California Linux Expo (44:16)