We raised $2,515.72 toward Dan Lynch's trip to a conference to represent the show and record content! We'll be coordinated with Dan about what conference he wants to attend.
If you'd like to further support Free as in Freedom, please become a supporter of Software Freedom Conservancy, the charity where Bradley and Karen work.
28 May 2013
Karen and Bradley discuss the sexist comment issue that occurred a few months ago at PyCon USA 2013.
This show was released on Tuesday 28 May 2013; its running time is 00:39:23.
Segment 0 (00:00:34)
- Bradley and Karen previously discussed conference behavior back in Episode 0x04.
- Bradley had blogged a few years ago about the issues of sexism through the computer industry, including this study showing the glass ceiling in CS academics. (05:17)
- Bradley mentioned that he'd blogged in the past that proprietary software companies also have issues of sexism at conferences (05:58)
- Bradley mentioned the How to Perform Like a Porn Star CouchDB talk at a Ruby Conference (06:13)
- There is indeed a Project named PyCorn. (09:38)
- Bradley mentioned the Planet Money
story about Online Pharmacies but he couldn't find the original audio
of the longer piece that ends with the phrase
Stay Shady, Internet(21:30)
- Bradley mentioned a quote about the human mind being the most dangerous thing because everything is in it, which is actually from Heart of Darkness by Joesph Conrad. (23:40)
- Bradley mentioned that a keynoter at LinuxCon Europe made sexist comments back in 2011. (30:02)
- Bradley and Karen encouraged listeners to promote the GNOME Foundation Outreach Program for Women (31:20)
- Bradley mentioned Shuttleworth's comment at LinuxCon North America in 2009 (32:02).