We raised $2,515.72 toward Dan Lynch's trip to a conference to represent the show and record content! We'll be coordinated with Dan about what conference he wants to attend.
If you'd like to further support Free as in Freedom, please become a supporter of Software Freedom Conservancy, the charity where Bradley and Karen work.
Displaying casts tagged CLAs
November 11, 2014
Karen and Bradley announce Conservancy's DMCA filing and Conservancy and FSF's joint launch of the copyleft.org project, and then discuss Eileen Evans' FOSDEM 2014 talk, entitled Licensing Models and Building an Open Source Community.
This show was released on Tuesday 11 November 2014; its running time is 01:13:10.
Segment 0 (00:36)
- Conservancy file a DMCA petition regarding so-called “Smart TVs”. (02:00)
- Bradley mentioned the magic marker that was as circumvention technique under DMCA. Here's an amusing joke press release about the issue. (03:10)
- There isn't much documentation online of Bruce Perens live DMCA violation, but this article appears to be the main one on the subject, and there is also this interview (06:46).
- Bradley and Karen talked about the joint FSF/Conservancy copyleft.org announcement. (09:10)
- Bradley first pulled together the materials for copyleft.org for FSF's CLE seminars, particularly the one in March 2014. (10:00)
- Karen noted that Conservancy donated the time to write up a pristine example of good complete, corresponding source code for a GPL'd product. (11:30)
- Bradley discussed the incorrect GPLv2§2(a) violation accusations that some made against Red Hat regarding its changes to its publication of RHEL's Linux fork. (12:00)
- Karen and Bradley encouraged listeners to submit talk proposals for the FOSDEM 2015 Legal and Policy Issues DevRoom (15:03)
Segment 1 (19:38)
This is a recording of Eileen Evans' FOSDEM 2014 talk, entitled Licensing Models and Building an Open Source Community. If you'd rather watch the video, which includes the slides from her talk, it's available on FOSDEM's site.
Segment 2 (46:40)
- Bradley and Karen discuss Eileen's talk.
- Bradley mentioned the OpenStack CLA fight, which was covered in a panel discussion on FaiF 0x4B. (56:16)
- Karen mentioned the 501(c)(6) issues that OpenStack Foundation has faced, which were discussed already on FaiF 0x4E. (56:34)
August 26, 2014
Bradley and Karen discuss the talk, Copyleft vs. Permissive vs. Contributor License Agreements: A Veteran’s Perspective by Simo Sorce given at FOSDEM 2013 on Sunday 3 February 2013.
This show was released on Tuesday 26 August 2014; its running time is 01:14:47.
Segment 0 (00:00:38)
Bradley and Karen introduce Simo's talk.
Segment 1 (00:03:02)
The slides from Simo's talk are available, if you want to follow along
Segment 2 (00:59:50)
- Bradley menitoned his blog post about CLA's on Conservancy's website. (01:00:10)
Segment 3 (01:10:22)
Bradley and Karen are still trying to decide what to do about the FOSDEM 2014 talks.
August 5, 2014
This show was released on Tuesday 5 August 2014; its running time is 00:54:05.
Segment 0 (00:38)
Bradley and Karen introduce the panel discussion.
Segment 1 (01:28)
- The panel guests are Van Lindberg and Richard Fontana.
- Van quoted from the Apache Corporate CLA. (40:55)
Segment 2 (48:17)
- Bradley and Karen wrap up the discussion.
- Bradley mentioned the AKG C1000S which we use to record the oggcast. (50:40)
July 30, 2014
This show was released on Wednesday 30 July 2014; its running time is 00:44:34.
Segment 0 (00:36)
- Bradley mentioned FSF's copyright assignment process. (05:50)
- Bradley mentioned RMS' essay regarding what you should do if a company asks you to assign copyright on Free Software. (14:00)
- Open Stack is reconsidering their CLA.
- Bradley mentioned again that goofy Eclipse contributor poster. (27:22)