We raised $2,515.72 toward Dan Lynch's trip to a conference to represent the show and record content! We'll be coordinated with Dan about what conference he wants to attend.
If you'd like to further support Free as in Freedom, please become a supporter of Software Freedom Conservancy, the charity where Bradley and Karen work.
Displaying casts tagged Conservancy
November 1, 2016
Bradley and Karen discuss Conservancy's ContractPatch Initiative that will help Free Software developers negotiate their agreements with employers.
This show was released on Tuesday 1 November 2016; its running time is 00:50:29.
Segment 0 (00:38)
- Software Freedom Conservancy has two blog posts and a mailing list to discuss the Contract Patch initiative (02:40).
- Bradley searched for the NPR story he mentioned but just couldn't find it, but he did fine a similar one covering terms of service agreements (08:30)
- Karen mentioned the the Outreachy Project of Conservancy. (09:30)
- The Google Map API ToS states that you have to pay for it after a certain amount of usage (17:30)
- Bradley mentioned the book, What Color Is Your Parachute? (24:30)
- The “put it in writing” commercials from AT&T and MCI. (46:44)
September 21, 2016
Bradley and Karen discuss Conservancy's conference trips and presentations during the first half of 2016.
This show was released on Wednesday 21 September 2016; its running time is 00:53:28.
Segment 0 (00:38)
- Bradley attended and spoke at FOSDEM 2016 and LinuxConf Australia 2016 (03:10)
- Bradley and Karen co-coordinated the FOSDEM 2016 Legal and Policy Issues DevRoom (04:43)
- Tom Marble did an interview-format discussion with Richard M. Stallman at FOSDEM 2016 (04:55)
- Bradley gave two talks at FOSDEM 2016, Copyleft For the Next Decade: A Comprehensive Plan for the GPL and A Beautiful Build: Releasing Linux Source Correctly (06:40)
- Richard Fontana gave a talk at FOSDEM 2016 entitled Open source foundations: threat or menace? (08:15)
- The Doge
take on FOSDEM 2016 Legal and Policy Issues DevRoom was
Much politics. Many peoples.(11:00)
- There was a Conservancy Supporter event at the Novotel Grand Place in Brussels at FOSDEM 2016. (14:00)
- Bradley gave a talk at LCA 2016. (15:20)
- Karen gave the closing keynote at LibrePlanet 2016, entitled Companies, free software, and you . (16:54)
- Karen Sandler gave a talk at the Linux Foundation's Embedded Linux Conference 2016 entitled Tales of Enforcement (27:00)
- Karen gave a talk at at the Postgres Conference in New York. (34:26)
- Bradley and Karen were both on a panels at OSCON. (35:00)
- Bradley and Karen flipped burgers (vegan ones and otherwise) at the OSCON 2016 party. (39:30)
- Bradley gave a keynote at OSS 2016. (45:05)
- Bradley spoke at two user groups in Norway as well. He hasn't made the blog post he mentioned yet, but plans to. (45:50)
- Karen mentioned Episode 0x4A which discussed the OpenStack CLA debate. (50:50)
August 18, 2016
Bradley and Karen discuss the plan for restarting Free as in Freedom and plans for episodes to come.
This show was released on Thursday 18 August 2016; its running time is 00:26:59.
Segment 0 (00:36)
- Bradley said
in the before time — in the long long ago, which is a reference to the South Park parody of the ST:TOS episode, Miri (01:30)
- Bradley mentioned when Karen Sandler left the GNOME Foundation and took over Bradley's old job as Executive Director of Conservancy. (02:20)
- Karen mentioned that Bradley used to be Executive Director of the Free Software Foundation, a position now held by John Sullivan. (03:25)
- Dan blogged about his illness, details of scheduling surgery, which he occurred successfully. (10:28)
- Karen mentioned the Conservancy Supporter program discussed in detail on Episode 0x57. (12:40)
- Bradley mentioned the short lived Jon Masters Linux Kernel Mailing List Summary Podcast. (14:45)
- Karen and Bradley discussed Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles, and Bradley attempted to mention this version which he likes better. (17:36)
- Bradley mentioned Kantian Ethics (20:05)
- Bradley mentioned the Portlanda skit, Rent it Out from S04E02 (20:24)
- Karen mentioned WellDeserved: A Marketplace for Privilege (20:38)
November 24, 2015
This show was released on Tuesday 24 November 2015; its running time is 00:26:10.
- Bradley mentioned Cygnus Solutions, ultimately acquired by Red Hat, which was an early for-profit supporter of copylefted projects.
- Bradley and Karen discussed the VMware lawsuit.
- Chris Webber wrote this blog post in response to a Shane Curcuru, who is VP of Brand Management at the Apache Software Foundation, anti-copyleft talk at OSCON 2015. Shane's talk is consistent with Apache Software Foundation's historical and recent anti-copyleft positions (12:23)