We raised $2,515.72 toward Dan Lynch's trip to a conference to represent the show and record content! We'll be coordinated with Dan about what conference he wants to attend.
If you'd like to further support Free as in Freedom, please become a supporter of Software Freedom Conservancy, the charity where Bradley and Karen work.
Displaying casts tagged OSCON
September 21, 2016
Bradley and Karen discuss Conservancy's conference trips and presentations during the first half of 2016.
This show was released on Wednesday 21 September 2016; its running time is 00:53:28.
Segment 0 (00:38)
- Bradley attended and spoke at FOSDEM 2016 and LinuxConf Australia 2016 (03:10)
- Bradley and Karen co-coordinated the FOSDEM 2016 Legal and Policy Issues DevRoom (04:43)
- Tom Marble did an interview-format discussion with Richard M. Stallman at FOSDEM 2016 (04:55)
- Bradley gave two talks at FOSDEM 2016, Copyleft For the Next Decade: A Comprehensive Plan for the GPL and A Beautiful Build: Releasing Linux Source Correctly (06:40)
- Richard Fontana gave a talk at FOSDEM 2016 entitled Open source foundations: threat or menace? (08:15)
- The Doge
take on FOSDEM 2016 Legal and Policy Issues DevRoom was
Much politics. Many peoples.(11:00)
- There was a Conservancy Supporter event at the Novotel Grand Place in Brussels at FOSDEM 2016. (14:00)
- Bradley gave a talk at LCA 2016. (15:20)
- Karen gave the closing keynote at LibrePlanet 2016, entitled Companies, free software, and you . (16:54)
- Karen Sandler gave a talk at the Linux Foundation's Embedded Linux Conference 2016 entitled Tales of Enforcement (27:00)
- Karen gave a talk at at the Postgres Conference in New York. (34:26)
- Bradley and Karen were both on a panels at OSCON. (35:00)
- Bradley and Karen flipped burgers (vegan ones and otherwise) at the OSCON 2016 party. (39:30)
- Bradley gave a keynote at OSS 2016. (45:05)
- Bradley spoke at two user groups in Norway as well. He hasn't made the blog post he mentioned yet, but plans to. (45:50)
- Karen mentioned Episode 0x4A which discussed the OpenStack CLA debate. (50:50)
August 14, 2012
This show was released on Tuesday 14 August 2012; its running time is 00:39:53.
Segment 0 (00:36)
- Bradley represents FSF on the GNOME Advisory Board. (02:20)
- Bradley points out it's very dangerous when you can buy voting rights of a 501(c)(3) by paying money, such as the structure of OSI. Karen notes that contribution-based membership works very well for GNOME. (03:50)
- Bradley is concerned about the future of OSI's license list now that votes in OSI are for sale. (04:30)
- Bradley received an O'Reilly Open Source Award at OSCON 2012. Bradley blogged an acceptance speech for the award. (08:50)
- The Python award and the Perl White Camel award is also given at OSCON. (12:35)
- Karen mentioned FLOSS Foundations, and asked if there was a meeting at OSCON. Bradley mentioned it had been primarily rolled into Jono Bacon's CLS conference. (15:10)
Segment 1 (17:56)
- Bradley wrote in a post about the GUADEC 2010 conference to note how welcoming the community was. Karen described GUADEC 2012 as very similar in nature. (21:25)
- Karen mentioned her husband Mike had a similar reaction to GUADEC 2012 that Bradley had to GUADEC 2010. (23:50)
August 2, 2011
Karen and Bradley discuss Karen's OSCON keynote and her 2011 O'Reilly Open Source Award, as well as other happenings from OSCON.
This show was released on Tuesday 2 August 2011; its running time is 00:36:27.
Segment 0 (00:35)
- Bradley and Karen just returned from the 2011 O'Reilly Open Source Software Convention (OSCON). (00:45)
- Karen received one of the 2011 O'Reilly Open Source Awards. (Video of the award ceremony is online.) (03:05)
- Karen now has a blog called GNOMG. (05:03)
- Karen's wrote a blog post about winning the 2011 Open Source Award. (03:47)
- Karen now has a redirector to her blog via gnomg.org. (05:42)
- Listener Michael Dexter let Bradley stay at his house for part of the time of OSCON, and Bradley later shared a room with listener Richard Fontana. (06:40)
Segment 1 (10:22)
- Karen keynoted at OSCON, entitled Software Freedom: From my Heart to the Desktop. (10:22)
- Bradley had a live-denting thread of Karen's keynote at OSCON 2011.
- Karen's 2011 OSCON keynote is available YouTube. You can also hear the audio on the show itself, but if you prefer video, use the preceding link. If you watch instead of listen, just skip the audio in the oggcast up to Segment 2 below:
Segment 2 (24:49)
- Bradley mentioned conferences can be ephemeral on his blog about GUADEC 2010. (28:25)
- Bradley and Karen are about to go to the Desktop Summit. (29:15)
- Bradley, Michael Meeks and Mark Shuttleworth will be on a panel on copyright assignment moderated by Karen. (29:25)